Do you want to help people feel better or look better? Do you want to help people and families with challenges? Human services might be the field for you.
The human services field has five general career pathways:
- Consumer Services: Individuals who assist people with a variety of activities, such as getting a loan.
- Counseling and Mental Health Services: Individuals who help people with personal, family or mental health problems.
- Early Childhood Development and Services: Individuals who care for children.
- Family and Community Services: Individuals who help people overcome challenges such as homelessness.
- Personal Care Services: Individuals who help improve the physical appearance of others.
Meta-Major: Health Sciences
Are you interested in human services but not sure what you want to do? Check out the health sciences meta-major at your local state college. A meta-major is a collection of associate degree programs aligned to a general career area, such as human services. Because all programs under the meta-major have common courses, you can pursue a relevant course of study before deciding on a specific degree program.
Most careers in personal care require training while careers in counseling and mental health services require a bachelor's degree.
Source: June 2023 O*NET OnLine