Always dreamed of a career in medicine? Interested in learning more about the wide range of occupations in this growing field? Get started here.
The healthcare field has five general career pathways:
- Therapeutic Services: Individuals who deal directly with patients, such as doctors, nurses, dentists, and physical therapists.
- Diagnostic Services: Individuals who perform a wide range of tests, such as clinical and lab technicians.
- Health Informatics: Individuals who manage hospitals and healthcare facilities or manage patient information and records.
- Biotechnology Research and Development: Individuals who study diseases to develop treatments and medications to prevent and cure illness.
- Support Services: Individuals who focus on creating a comfortable experience for patients, such as dieticians.
Meta-Major: Health Sciences
Are you interested in healthcare but not sure what you want to do? Check out the health sciences meta-major at your local state college. A meta-major is a collection of associate degree programs aligned to a general career area, such as health sciences. Because all programs under the meta-major have common courses, you can pursue a relevant course of study before deciding on a specific degree program.
While most jobs require some education after high school, many don't require a four-year, bachelors degree. Some require an Associate Degree, a two-year college degree program, or a certificate, a technical program which vary in length but are generally less than two years.
|Training, Certificate or Associate's Degree||Bachelor's Degree|
|Home Health Aide||$24,200||Mental Health Counselor||$47,790|
|Pharmacist Technician||$32,700||Substance Abuse Counselor||$47,790|
|Medical Assistant||$33,610||Bioinformatics Technician||$48,330|
|Medical Secretary||$35,760||Medical and Clinical Technologist||$52,330|
|Optician, Dispensing||$37,010||Registered Nurse||$71,730|
|Massage Therapist||$41,420||Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurse||$71,730|
|Licensed Practical Nurse||$46,240||Acute Care Nurse||$71,730|
|Clinical Laboratory Technician||$52,330||Critical Care Nurse||$71,730|
|Cardiovascular Technologist||$56,850||Informatics Nurse Specialist||$88,740|
|Physical Therapist Assistant||$58,040||Biomedical Engineer||$88,550|
|Respiratory Therapist||$60,280||Medical Services Manager||$99,730|
|Diagnostic Medical Sonographer||$72,510||Physician Assistant||$108,610|