Always dreamed of a career in medicine? Interested in learning more about the wide range of occupations in this growing field? Get started here.
The healthcare field has five general career pathways:
- Therapeutic Services: Individuals who deal directly with patients, such as doctors, nurses, dentists, and physical therapists.
- Diagnostic Services: Individuals who perform a wide range of tests, such as clinical and lab technicians.
- Health Informatics: Individuals who manage hospitals and healthcare facilities or manage patient information and records.
- Biotechnology Research and Development: Individuals who study diseases to develop treatments and medications to prevent and cure illness.
- Support Services: Individuals who focus on creating a comfortable experience for patients, such as dieticians.
Meta-Major: Health Sciences
Are you interested in healthcare but not sure what you want to do? Check out the health sciences meta-major at your local state college. A meta-major is a collection of associate degree programs aligned to a general career area, such as health sciences. Because all programs under the meta-major have common courses, you can pursue a relevant course of study before deciding on a specific degree program.
While most jobs require some education after high school, many don't require a four-year, bachelors degree. Some require an Associate Degree, a two-year college degree program, or a certificate, a technical program which vary in length but are generally less than two years.
|Training, Certificate or Associate's Degree||Bachelor's Degree|
|Home Health Aide (C)||$21,150||Bioinformatic Technician||$35,750|
|Phlebotomist (C)||$27,720||Mental Health Counselor||$40,643|
|Medical Assistant (C)||$28,740||Substance Abuse Counselor||$43,056|
|Medical Secretary (C)||$29,250||Cytogenetic Technologist||$57,700|
|Clinical Laboratory Technician (A)||$32,680||Medical and Clinical Technologist||$57,700|
|Massage Therapist (C)||$36,370||Registered Nurse||$60,920|
|Optician, Dispensing (A)||$39,150||Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurse||$60,290|
|Licensed Practical Nurse (C)||$41,130||Acute Care Nurse||$60,920|
|Cardiovascular Technologist (C)||$45,290||Critical Care Nurse||$60,920|
|Respiratory Therapist (A)||$53,390||Informatics Nurse Specialists||$80,190|
|Physical Therapist Assistant (A)||$59,290||Biomedical Engineer||$91,940|
|Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (C)||$60,530||Physician Assistant||$99,278|
|Dental Hygienist (A)||$64,890||Medical Services Manager||$101,920|
- C indicates a professional or industry certificate.
- A indicates an associate degree, generally an associate in applied science or science.
- Salaries are the median income for the job in Florida.