Law and Public Safety
Are you interested in the law? Do you want to protect your community? The field of law, public safety and corrections offers a range of opportunities for you.
Law and public safety have five career pathways:
- Law Enforcement: Individuals who fight crime and maintain public safety, such as police officers.
- Legal Services: Individuals who work with the law, such as judges, lawyers, and assistants at various levels.
- Emergency and Fire Management: Individuals who respond to emergencies or natural disasters, such as paramedics or firefighters.
- Correction Services: Individuals who work with law enforcement with a focus on those who have broken the law, such as a correction officer or probation officer.
- Security and Protection Services: Individuals who protect buildings or people, such as security guards or life guards.
Meta-Major: Public Safety
Are you interested in a career in the law or public safety but not sure what you want to do? Check out the public safety meta-major at your local state college. A meta-major is a collection of associate degree programs aligned to a general career area, such as public safety. Because all programs under the meta-major have common courses, you can pursue a relevant course of study before deciding on a specific degree program.
The field of law, public safety and corrections offers a broad range of occupations at varying education levels.
|Training, Certificate or Associate's Degree||Bachelor's Degree|
|Life Guard||$22,410||Probation Officer||$53,020|
|Security Guard||$28,490||Fish and Game Warden||$57,710|
|Correction Officer||$44,330||Forensic Science Technician|
|Municipal or Forest Fighter||$49,620||Arbitrator or Mediator||$62,270|
|Paralegal and Legal Assistant||$50,940||Administrative Law Judge||$99,850|
|Police Patrol Officer||$61,380||Judge or Magistrate Judge||$133,920|
|Sheriff or Deputy Sheriff||$61,380|
|Immigration and Customs Inspector||$81,920|